Saturday, October 13, 2007

Burger Time Deluxe

Burger! Burger!

So I took my good friend Rachel out for lunch yesterday. Being a true gentleman I allowed her to pick where we were going. She fancied a burger. Luckily there was a new Gormet Burger place to go to, so we'd thought we'd give it a try.

I got a little worried as we approached as I could see a minster fm sign in the window. They weren't doing a live show in there were they? Luckily they weren't, but there was a guy with a microphone who I guess would be interviewing people.

Rachel & I were shown to a table, sat down and ordered some drinks. We were told our table number (perhaps they should've put it on the table) and then directed to the counter where we could place our food order. Eh? Couldn't the waitress who took our drink order take our food order? Apparently not.

So I ordered the food and as I went to pay I was told not to bother because as I was one of the first twenty-five customers at the restaurant they were paying for it. Cleverly they didn't do this before I ordered as then I would've ordered two lots of chips (at two quid each!!!), and probably some extra sauce (at 1 pound 75 pence each!!!!) as well.

The burgers came out and they were very nice. My lamb burger was very meaty, too big to eat using your hands so you had to use cutlery (which never feels right with a burger). The chips were good, reasonable portions and tasted like school chips (which is A Good Thing). One bad thing was that the minty relish they used was very vingary but - hey!! - it was free so why am I complaining?

The free meal was obviously a ploy to get us to tell everyone about the restaurant which I did, but I included with the caveat that it was good for free, but at eight quid for a burger and no chips? Nein danke.

On a related note, the thing I learnt from QI was that the German national anthem doesn't begin "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles". Ich bin sehr upset. I thought this was the best first line for a national anthem ever, but apparently it was only in around Nazi times ("Nazis, I hate those guys" - Dr. Jones) that this was sung.

Why was it cut out? National anthems for me should be sung only when you're telling everyone your country is the best. Saying you're above everything pretty much declares that. Asking God to save your Monarch? Now that's shameful.

No comments: