Thursday, February 21, 2008

Japanese Thursday

Luckily for you non-Japanese speakers I won't be writing a conversation today* instead I'm trying to remember hiragana. Hiragana is the intermediate level of written Japanese, with katakana the beginners (used for more English style words) and Kanji the most difficult at all.

I'm having problems as I didn't really learn katakana that well so I'm moving onto hiragana too early in my Japanese career. They're both the same in that they're phonetic ways of writing, compared to kanji's one symbol per word, but I find it really hard to remember which one each symbol relates to.

Currently I can only remember the symbols for 'i' and 'ko'. Which means I can identify carp on a menu, but that's about it.

* Actually it's probably lucky for the Japanese speakers too as my grammar isn't very good

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you or any other of your family or friends want to learn Katakana, you can use gtalk (or chat inside gmail) to play a katakana learning game. Using gtalk (or gmail chat), just send start to jappaserver@gmail.com